The Ladies’ Share met a couple of weeks ago. One of the highlights that evening was a single cask release from Arran. More details about the whisky soon, but first I will present our line-up. The theme was island jumping in Scotland (plus a bonus):
- The ‘waiting dram’ (a new concept – which we love!): Jameson Black Barrel, NAS, 40 ABV
- Arran 1996 9 YO Bourbon cask #2131, 56,9 ABV
- Highland Park Einar, NAS, 40 ABV
- Talisker 10 YO, 45,8 ABV
- Ledaig 9 YO, bottled November 2012, 40 ABV
- Laphroaig 10 YO, 40 ABV
- Bowmore 100 Degrees Proof, NAS, 57,15 ABV
Arran distillery is located on the island of Arran. It is a young distillery established in 1995. Todays whisky has been matured for 9 years in bourbon cask #2131. Distilled 1996-12-18 and bottled 2006-10-10 into 196 bottles.
Really, really rich on the nose! Vanilla, dades, butter, salt, fudge and thyme. Warm and complex! We could have nosed this for ever. Still rich on the palate. A lot of caramel and salt. Quite spicy. We found some kind of sweetness we did not manage to describe. The finish appeared to be watery at first. After a few more sips it became more rich and warm. Spices and fudge mostly.
My score: nose 24 / taste 23 / finish 22 / balance 23 = 92
I am looking forward to our meeting tomorrow!