My third time at Cinderella Whisky Fair is over and I am already looking forward to the next one!
Cinderella Whisky Fair takes place on-board Viking Line’s boat Cinderella. It runs from Stockholm in Sweden to Åland, an autonomous region in Finland. Since the fair is on car deck the boat has to stay at bay while the fair is open. In the afternoon the fair is open from 6 pm till 10 pm. The boat goes to Åland and back again during the night. Then the fair is open from 11 am till 2 pm. This gives a seven hours long fair.
Do you think seven hours seems like a lot of time? Well, I can tell you it is not! Actually I did not have enough time to visit all the stands, unfortunately. These are all the whiskies I tasted, and listed in the order I tasted them:
- The Macallan Rare Cask Black
- Deanston 20 YO Oloroso Cask Strength
- Svenska Eldvatten Bruichladdich 2004 bourbon barrel #1407
- The Irishman 2015 Cask Strength
- Douglas Laing Timorous Beastie
- Angel’s Nectar First Edition and Angel’s Nectar Rich Peat Edition
- anCnoc 22 YO
- Box Archipelago Baltic Sea 2016
- MacDuff 1980 33 YO Golden Cask (Svenska Eldvatten)
- Glen Grant 1992 20 YO Whisky-Fässle (WhiskyTaste)
- Wolfburn Spirit Sample 2,5 YO from Quarter Cask, 2,5 YO from ASB (200 l) and the new make
- Koval Single Barrel Whiskey Millet and Single Barrel Whiskey Four Grain
- Helsinki Distilling Co. White Dog Straight Rye 1 YO and the new make
- Mackmyra Moment Fenix
I had a great time talking to importers, independent bottlers, distillery people, bloggers and other whisky people! And of course it is always interesting to taste whiskies from old and new distilleries. To me the Wolfburn from Quarter Cask was one of the big surprises. I did not take any notes during the fair, but I gave some quick scores. My favourites were the MacDuff, the Glen Grant and the Bruichladdich.
I bought a few samples back home to do some tasting notes. For instance The Irishman 2015 Cask Strength and a few samples from Teerenpeli distillery. Tasting notes will be available in the next weeks.