Sieste took us through the history of Macallan and the whisky production process while he took us through these whiskies:
- Macallan 12 YO Fine Oak, 40 ABV: mostly sherry casks and mostly casks made of American oak.
- Macallan 12 YO Double Cask, 40 ABV: only sherry casks and a combination of American oak and European oak.
- Macallan 21 YO Fine Oak, 43 ABV: matured in bourbon and sherry casks.
- Macallan Rare Cask, 43 ABV: only sherry casks, a lot of first-fill casks, 256 casks are used in 16 different sizes.
- Macallan 1980, 43 ABV: a 18 YO whisky bottled in 1998.
- Macallan 1966, 43 ABV: a 18 YO whisky bottled in 1985 with screw cork!
My favorite was Macallan Rare Cask. A rich and complex whisky with a lot of dried fruits and oranges. I have shared my tasting notes on this one before. Back then I gave it 89 points. This time I gave it 88 points which means I still agree with my own opinion 😉
Thanks for a great tasting to Sietse and Dr. Jekyll’s Pub!