We had an amazing meeting for The Ladies’ Share in April 2016. The line-up contained six different Laphroaigs! A few of us arrived early and had time to enjoy a seventh Laphroaig as a warm up 😉
Laphroaig distillery is located on Islay in Scotland. Since all the Ladies love peated whiskies there was no surprise that we all had one (or more) Laphroaig(s) at home. We were therefore able to dive into this distillery.
The whiskies we tasted this evening were:
- Laphroaig 15 YO, 43 ABV
- The old 15 YO was replaced by the 18 YO in 2009. Laphroaig released 72 000 bottles for 200th Anniversary.
- Our warm up dram! I did not take any notes. It is good whisky, but not “wow” good.
- Laphroaig 10 YO, 40 ABV
- Matured in both first and second fill bourbon barrels.
- Raw swede, smoke and washing powder on the nose. Smooth, spicy and white pepper on the palate. Ash on the finish. One of the Ladies described the finish as how your mouth feel after ten hours on a plane without drinking water!
- My score: nose 20 / taste 21 / finish 20 / balance 21 = 82
- Laphroaig 18 YO, 48 ABV
- Matured in first fill bourbon barrels only.
- Vanilla, peat, white raisins, Christmas cake with currants and candied peel on the nose. Rich, spicy and vanilla on the palate. An ashy and warm finish.
- My score: nose 22 / taste 23 / finish 22 / balance 22 = 89
- Laphroaig An Cuan Mor, 48 ABV
- Matured for eight years in bourbon casks and then one year in new European oak.
- Peat, seaweed and beach on the nose. A bit sharp. It reminded us of the 10 YO without the washing powder. Sour, sharp and peppery on the palate. Ash and pepper on the finish.
- My score: nose 19 / taste 20 / finish 20 / balance 20 = 79
- Laphroaig Quarter Cask, 48 ABV
- This whisky was first introduced in 2004.
- Matured in first fill bourbon barrels for five-ten years. Then quarter casks for eight months.
- Wetness and peat on the nose. A bit disappointing actually. Licorice and spices on the palate. Warm and sweet. Ash and licorice on the finish.
- My score: nose 20 / taste 23 / finish 22 / balance 22 = 87
- Laphroaig PX, 48 ABV
- Matured in American oak, then Quarter Casks, and then Pedro Ximenez casks for one-two years.
- The cherries from a canned fruit cocktail on the nose. Sweet on the palate, with some wet cardboard as well. Ash and sweetness on the finish. (I have very few tasting notes on this one…)
- My score: nose 20 / taste 21 / finish 21 / balance 21 = 83
- Laphroaig Cairdeas 2014, 51,4 ABV
- Matured in first fill bourbon casks. One year finish in Amontillado hogshead. There was a total of 28 254 bottles.
- Vanilla and very gentle on the nose. The peat was hiding in the background. Rich and warm on the palate with chilli. Metallic, licorice and peat on the finish. All over very little smoke and peat. A gentle Lahproaig.
- My score: nose 22 / taste 23 / finish 23 / balance 22 = 90
All the women agreed on the 18 YO and the Cairdeas being the best whiskies this evening!
I am already looking forward to our next meeting!