Wow! The club is so lucky to have creative Ladies! Marte and Thea created a great concept for our online tastings until we can meet at each others homes again:
- We planned for four online tastings with these topics:
- Not from Scotland, but from …
- Different cask maturations.
- A round trip in Scotland.
- Global island-jumping.
- Each of the ten Ladies “signed up” two whiskies according to the topic.
- Each Lady sent samples of her two whiskies to all the others.
- We taste five whiskies at each tasting.
- Only the host knows which whiskies.
- The tasting itself follows a strict regime with one leading the tasting and the discussion via chat is lead by another – ergo only two doing most of the talking through the tasting.
- Some years ago we introduced what we call “a whisky while we are waiting for the tasting to begin”. We realized it always takes a while to pour the whiskies, so, it is important to have a whisky while we are waiting! Well, at this online tasting we did “open mic” during the “whisky while we are waiting” 🙂
- When the tasting was done, it was time to enjoy and empty our glasses – and the microphone was open again.
The club has arranged three online tastings so far since our last physical meeting in September 2020.
I lead the tasting “Not from Scotland, but from …” where we tasted these whiskies:
- Redbreast 15 YO, 46 ABV, Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey, Ireland
- Yushan Signature Bourbon Cask, 46 ABV, Nantou Distillery, Taiwan
- Millstone Oloroso Sherry, 46 ABV, 3 YO, bottled in 2018, the Netherlands
- Eiktyrne Toll og Holl, 51,9 ABV, 3 YO, Sauternes finish, Det norske brenneri, Norge
- Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique, 58,5 ABV, King Car Distillery, Taiwan
We were eight Ladies this evening and each had to vote for their two favorites. Here is the result:
- Kavalan – seven votes
- Millstone and Redbreast – three votes each
- Yushan – two votes
- Eiktyrne – one vote